Saturday, August 2, 2008

A whole new world

I really have so much to say, my heart is full. Of questions, of anger, of FEAR, of sadness, of thankfulness and yes, peace. This last week has been without question the hardest one of my life yet. I know that might be hard to believe. Maybe in a couple of years, looking back I can say different. But not right now. My fight has been for, not only Forest's life, but for my own sanity and spiritual life and physical well being. Also, for my husband and my other 2 kids.Fighting to keep them feeling loved and hopeful. In case our story has not traveled far enough to reach your ears, I will try to tell it quickly.(I don't have long before Forest wakes up)
Monday morning, July 28th, I awoke at 6 a.m. to an 8 month old little boy that was breathing very heavy, sticking out a swollen tongue, had sunken eyes, and disorientation. I grabbed him quickly and tried to nurse him. He wanted to, but couldn't. That's it, I thought, we are going to the emergency room. I changed his diapers and told the other 2 kids to wake their daddy, get me some clothes and meet me at the ER. I put him in the car, started driving and praying. Out loud. About half way there (I could see him in the rear view mirror.) he appeared to stop breathing and started to close his eyes. I called 911, jumped out of the van and grabbed him again and stood on the side of the road until they arrived. He was still breathing. Thank goodness. They put him in the ambulance, put him on oxygen and told me to meet them at the hospital. As soon as we got in, they started assessing him, tons of people, lots of craziness. One of the people said "check his glucose". I don't remember who. Wow. I never thought of that. Yikes! OK... that's interesting... they checked it and yelled out, 498... it's 498. He's in DKA. Whatever that meant. I had no idea. Lot's of needles, lots of blood, an IV, oxygen all on my little boy. They came in and told us he was diabetic, he was in a state they call "diabetic keto-acidosis" and they would be sending him ASAP in the ambulance to St. Francis Pediatric ICU in Tulsa. One parent could ride in the ambulance. Next thing you know, they had me on the bed, feeding him ice chips and holding him and we were rolling to the ambulance. I'm sure you can imagine, from 6 a.m. on until right now, this very moment, I have had adrenaline pumping through my veins. For 2 days straight, a full 48 hours, he did not nurse, or eat at all. He had an IV with fluid to re-hydrate him and an insulin drip. Then, finally, when all of his labs started coming back normal, I was able to nurse.
I'll continue later today... he is awake.

11 comments:

Courtney said...

Christy. I do not have words. I am so sorry. I love you dearly friend and have lifted you up in thought and prayer constantly. I knew, but didn't havea any of those details. I love you and I am sorry is all I have to offer you. I will see you tomorrow night--I am bringing you dinner.

Nise(Denise) said...

Christy...praying like mad for you! Dear God,
You know this precious family intimately..hold them and give them peace in this storm. Thank you for Forrest and the wonderful parents that he has. Work on all the details for this little boy. Find a cure for diabetes quickly!! You are a good God and I pray that Tim and Christy will trust with all of this.

Amen

Dalene said...

Oh Christy!...

Sweet Forest!

We love your family! Many prayers for you ALL!!!

Kipplyn said...

Christy, You are amazing really. I am at a loss for words myself. I am sorry my dear friend. I love you and your precious family.

Laura said...

Your story sends anxiety crawling up my spine and a numbing of words. You know that I love you and your dear family. God is your strength and your provider of everything you need. Collapse into his arms. I will pray for deep sleep between BG checks and stable levels. I will continue to pray the pump will bring stability in his levels. You know that I am here walking with you and you have a family lifting you all up in prayers. I love you guys!

rachel white said...

we have been praying. and we will continue to pray. Sweet Jesus, hold them close tonight.

Becky said...

I have been praying, too, ever since I found out. We love you guys and will continue to pray for all of you. I'm so sorry.

Marci said...

I have no words. . . just praying!
:(

khowze said...

Christy, I have been praying for you as well ever since I found out. I don't know what else to say except I am sorry and I will continue to pray for you, Forest and your family.

Aubrey said...

Christy...we are so sorry to hear about Forest. I can't imagine going through that as a mother and it breaks my heart that you have had to. We will continue to pray for you all! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Laura J. said...

We love you Christy!