Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dread

Site change day is definitely a dreaded day. I was glad though to have made it for 3 full days and not have to do an "emergency" site change. That was definitely nice. So, I decided I would try to have a good attitude about the task today. I even made the opportunity for a nice warm bath for the little guy without any needles in his bum. It was very sweet. Lots of splashing and laughing. Not for too long though...

I got everything ready and did the site change and all was well. I set his "basal rate" (don't worry, you don't want to know) pretty low since he has crashed after every other site change. So, I wasn't too shocked when his numbers started to climb after each subsequent glucose check. I increased things and then finally even gave a correction. So, by 8:20 I expected we would see some better numbers. Not so. The meter just said "HI".

Crap. Another site not working. Sorry... my holy side isn't working at a moment like that. ) :
So, I got to do a site change again at 8:30 at night. That is definitely going to mean a long night. Let's hope that it's working... and if it is, that it doesn't make him go TOO low. Man, just, man, I don't know what I want to say besides just...

This sucks.

4 comments:

khowze said...

So sorry, Christy. I will pray for a good night for Forest and you.

Courtney said...

it does suck. you are handling it well my friend. keep pressing on...if i knew a way to tangibly help, please know i'd just be there. please let me (or any of us) know...

Wendy Kough said...

The Juvenile Diabetes Foundation could really use your blog to help encourage people to work for a cure.
Most people, like me, don't have a clue what it is to care for a child with diabetes. It's so sad to know that you are going through this. I have friends all over the country praying for you. I really hope it gets easier soon!

Aubrey said...

Christy we're praying that things will improve over time. Hope last night went well. You're doing a great job handling it all!