Monday, August 4, 2008

Successful site change

Every third day, the needle for the pump must be removed and a new one put in a new location. This is a multi-step process that we were shown in a 10 minute demonstration. So... I was just slightly apprehensive. My sweet friend Laura (who is now unfortunately a professional site changer) walked me through it. It went well. Forest was fussy (I think due to a gassy tummy because mommy ate something wrong.) but he didn't cry at all when I put the needle in. Thank God for Lidocaine!!! However, the rest of the day went dramatically down hill very fast. This was by far the worst day of blood sugar management we have had. He crashed and I wasn't able to get him back up for 4 hours. Honestly, that was the worst 4 hours EVER. I fed him, gave him extra food... then, when he would eat no more, I had to squirt cake decorating gel into his little cheeks. Yuck. He managed to get it everywhere. So, he had a blue face, blue hands, blue everything. That got him up just a little. Then, I checked him again and he had gone back down! I nursed him one more time. In the middle of all of this, I had to detach him from the pump. Finally, at 5, I got him high enough that I was able to reattach his pump. Then... he went to 421!!! What on earth????? I could not feel more helpless! Please pray. I don't have a feeling this will be an easy night.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I am so sorry Christy. I know that this is all so unbelievably crazy and scary for all of you. You looked great and Forest looked great yesterday. I will pray for a better tomorrow and a peaceful night of rest for you all. Again, I love you! Lifting you and your littlest up.

Aubrey said...

Praying for you!

Becky said...

Praying that your night is going well.

Dalene said...

We really appreciate the updates. It lets us know how to specifically pray for Forest as well as for you and your family....

Thank God for Laura!

Wendy Kough said...

Oh my. My heart breaks for you. I find myself holding my breath as I'm reading. I can feel your fear and sadness for Forest. This will get better. There are many people praying for all of you. We love you.

Nise(Denise) said...

What a roller coaster! Praying for blood sugar stability.

Anjanette said...

You're loved. I'm always here to listen, or I can come up again and help with laundry or cooking or whatever. Let me know.