Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Carbs

My dear friend Rachel gave me a good conversation starter. I have not had a lot of time lately (believe it or not) and I really haven't wanted to rant all day long about Diabetes details. I'm sure you're tired of hearing about it. But, the nursing thing while treating diabetes is an interesting topic. Most people are intrigued and wonder how it can be done.  Here's the scoop. They count carbs of breast milk just the same as they count carbs of formula. (It is very imprecise but... it sorta works.) So, it is 2 carbs for every ounce of breast milk. The trouble is, how many ounces is he drinking each time??? It has been said that you can weigh them to find out how much they took in. Unfortunately, I don't have an infant scale. My own scale would be too difficult. So... I guess. ( : I know that in the morning it appears he drinks like 10 oz. (fir reeeal!)  ( :

And, in the afternoon, it appears he drinks like 2 oz. So, obviously the insulin would be quite different at these 2 times. Fortunately, I'm figuring it out.  The good news is... my diet doesn't have to change at all. Yippeee!!!

That is only one of the math problems I tackle during the day. Waaa. I know. 

Anyway, we are headed to soccer practice. Love to you all!!!!

5 comments:

Dalene said...

10 ounces???? That is nutty!!! What a great appetite he has!

Kipplyn said...

Interesting. My grandma says she was sent home from the hospital with an infant scale so they could weigh the baby and determine how many ounces he was drinking.

Unknown said...

glad to hear from you. i hope things have calmed down some at least and not that you are worried we're tired of hearing about it. because we aren't...miss seeing you!

Unknown said...

that ^^^^^ was from courtney, not jeff...he must still be logged on...so sorry :)

Laura said...

Good job figuring all that out! I hope your week was good. Miss chatting.