Saturday, August 9, 2008

Not so good day

Today is August 9th , 2008. Today, Phoenix is 3 yrs. old. and in heaven. I was prepared to have somewhat of a sad day and make some cupcakes. I also thought we might go visit his little burial site. Never "fun" but always good. However, none of that has happened.

I had to run back out to Skiatook lake to pick up Rachel who had stayed the night in the motor home with my parents.So, we packed up our "diabetes stuff" and off we went. Earlier today, I had noticed that after breakfast, Forest's blood sugar went up. Not incredibly strange... but sorta strange. Since I had given him enough insulin to cover what he ate. Also, since he had gone up... I gave him a correction of insulin at the next meal along with his normal insulin. As we were driving to Skiatook, I noticed that he wasn't perking up like he should. He was just sort of limp. So... I pulled over in the Wal-Mart parking lot to check his blood sugar. Also, I checked the pump for a malfunction and I checked the tubing... no bubbles. So, his blood sugar was 480. Just slightly under what it was when he went to the ER. What????? His pump site must not be absorbing!! Guess what? We are 40 minutes from home and I don't have a syringe. Never thought of having a syringe with me. So... I jump in the van and start driving as fast as legally possible. We made it home and after talking with the Dr. on my way, she said to give him a shot of insulin, then replace the site. So... that is what I did. Then, I needed to check his blood sugar again. To make sure the new site was working and also because, every time I have changed his site before it absorbs a little too well and he crashes! Guess what? I couldn't find the glucometer. I looked all over the van.. all over the house. No where! So, I call the pharmacy and they say I can come get one. So, with Forest in tow... I run to the pharmacy. It takes forever of course because the pharmacist, with the best of intentions is trying to make sure he gets one that our insurance will cover. We finally get it and run home and find out that the lancets they gave me won't work with the new meter. So... I run back to the pharmacy and call them and say, can I please just check his blood sugar when I get there??? Yes, they said that would be OK. So, we get the lancets... and the meter won't start. UGHH!!! No battery... so the nice lady runs to get me a battery. In the mean time... Forest is fading. Fast! She returns, we get the battery in, the meter won't work... you have to have a code key! What??? Apparently the code key is in the box at home. Nice. Now, Forest has officially passed out, with eyes rolling in the back of his head. No drama, I'm not kidding. Finally, she remembers an old glucometer they have in the back of the pharmacy with strips that were expired. I said... I don't care can we please use them??? I didn't know if he was HIGH or LOW! She got it and we finally got a reading. He was incredibly low! So, she let me come behind the door and unplug his pump and nurse him. He finally came around and was feeling a little better. Then, we came home and I fed him some oatmeal and hooked him back up. Now he is sleeping and his blood sugar (for the moment) is good. But, I on the other hand, am not so good. I need to cry and sleep for 5 days straight to even have a shot at being good.

4 comments:

Dalene said...

Wow. Okay, that is just....WOW. I don't have the right words to say.

I only ask the Lord to continue to be right with you and Forest every moment, for his Holy Spirit to be fresh again tonight, to speak in a palpable way to your heart and mind as to Forest's needs, and for a hedge of protection to go with you and Forest wherever you are!!!

We are grieving with you today for sweet Phoenix....

rachel white said...

i have no words. i only have utterances...of prayers for Jesus to reveal Himself to you during these times like never before. i pray for peace in the midst of this chaos.

and i praise God that phoenix is dancing while the angels sing "happy birthday" to him today. but i know your heart aches to be the one who gets to sing to him. my heart aches for you...and with you.

i love you, christy. hang in there. even if it's just by a thread.

Courtney said...

i love you friend. praying for you lots!!! you are so strong. all of your sweet babies are so lucky to have you as their momma. how can we help you get some rest? i want to help you. can i do your laundry or help clean or bring more meals...please tell us what you need...i'll watch the kids for you if you need/want but i obviously don't know how to check/help forest!

Courtney said...

I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—He who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you—the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm—He will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
Psalm 121