Sunday, August 3, 2008

Continued

When we first arrived at St. Francis, they had to detach his IV because it was not compatible with their IV machines. So, for an hour, I held him and waited while they ordered another IV drip. They did not start the insulin at first. He was still in a very delirious and agitated state. Hard to console. It was emotionally draining and physically exhausting. They finally got the IV in, and some more oxygen on him. Then, eventually, an insulin drip. He fell off to sleep. I stood there, over his crib and didn't take an eye off of him. The doctor came in and gave me a summary of what they would be doing to correct his little body and told me not to worry... "by the time he is a teenager, we'll have a cure." Boy, do I hope so. I will choose to believe that. I relaxed a bit, for the first time feeling hopeful that I knew what the problem was and they were fixing it. At least it wasn't the great unknown thing that was making him sick. 100 years ago, diabetes was a death sentence. Even though this will take all of my time and energy for a long time to come, at least he can live. And even live a normal life. As I sat there staring at him, Tim and the kids finally arrived. We were all so concerned. We were beginning what turned out to be 48 hours of not feeding him and just trying to make him better. He slept alot. When he did wake up, he was hungry so he wasn't very happy. We learned a few tricks at calming him down. He really like to have his little hands held tightly and I held him of course as much as possible. His little mouth was so dry. We were allowed to dip his pacifier in water and give it to him. But only every 30 minutes. Anything he took in by mouth would affect his lab work. Our goal was to get those numbers normal so that he could start nursing again. The nurse he had for the first 2 days has a little 7 month old boy. Her heart was just breaking with mine. She couldn't stand to watch him not eat. When we finally got the right numbers, I could hear her celebrating and running down the hall to tell me. God was so good to put so many amazing people in our path. When he finally did start nursing, he went on a paci-strike. He wasn't about to let us give him a paci instead of nursing again. Now that he believes he gets to eat, he is taking it again. On Wednesday, the first day he could nurse and the first day he was off of the insulin drip and getting shots, we were sent to an all day training for diabetes. We went all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Information overload. I felt like I had taken 5 college courses and been kicked out the door and told to apply this to life and NEVER mess up. His little life depends on it. Tim said that he read somewhere that if you get a diagnosis of diabetes then you have to become a mathematician, a dietician, and a doctor... overnight. Yes!!! That is true! It is incredibly overwhelming. Since we have been home, I have been up almost every hour on the hour, every night. Checking blood sugars, making corrections, calling the Doctor. Yes, I am tired. But, I am hopeful that it will get better. I am sure there are a million and one ways that this applies to my spiritual journey and I am sure that one day, I will tell you about them, but right now, (: that is all I have to say.
Thank you to everyone of you who are praying. Please continue.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh My. Please keep my number close. I'm about 15 minutes away from St Francis so PLEASE come stay ANYTIME. I have 2 extra bedrooms. I just wish I knew you all were here last week so I could've helped. Please let me know what I can do.
You are all in my prayers!!!!!
Sarah
230-1320