Friday, June 20, 2008

Life, Friends and Controversial topics

Well, I am sitting down to write for a few minutes... we shall see if I don't get interrupted. ( : I think it's pretty funny that I blogged about some of the things we've done in the past couple of weeks twice. It is evidence of how crazy it has been and a small lack of sleep. (LOL!) No, the baby has not kept me up at all. He's doing good... (except naps, they are 30 minute random things). But, different things like the cat going crazy in the middle of the night, Rachel officially getting her pointe shoes (which means that you stay up until 1:30 like a good mom and sew on elastic and ribbon), then baby waking at 6 a.m. you know, just life. Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry.
In between doing all kinds of fun summer stuff, I have occasionally sat down at the computer to continue a discussion that was started months ago about a slightly controversial topic. Many of my friends do not agree with my opinion on this topic, so I have spent many an hour trying to "explain" myself. I know many of you that have been involved in or reading the conversation will probably read this blog and know what topic I'm discussing here, but I don't want to bring it up. I really don't want to live through that again. ( : It has gotten heated at times and I have been concerned for friendships. It has brought many a deeper thought to my mind. Mostly regarding friendships. You know like, can we REALLY agree to disagree? Or, will there always be that judgement in the back of their mind? Should we really tell people what we think? Or are friendships (for the most part) just too fragile to be THAT real? Should we just do what we do and not discuss it? Do I ever choose to quietly cross someone off of my list because I don't agree with them? I want to look inside and examine these things for myself. What kind of friend do I want to be? I hope through life's bumps and curves, I become a better friend as I go. These are the things that have been rolling around in my mind. I guess I hope that I haven't been TOO real. But, ultimately, I guess, "it is what it is". In the famous words of my husband.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I like realness. I don't always (or ever, sometimes) agree with people that I call friends, but they're still friends...maybe not my closest friends. I'd like to think (and maybe I have much to learn) you can't ever be too real... But life is funny and we are all imperfect, so maybe there is too much of that. But until more people get on board with being real at all, I'll stick with real friends any day! :) I like you for that reason.

I hope the fact that my kids see each other naked at both less than 36 months doesn't make anyone want to not be my friend...that is just absurd! (when they're 10, then yeah, that's a little odd, but 36 months?...really?!)

Dalene said...

I hope we can be honest. I always think about the movie Steel Magnolias, and the way those ladies shoot it straight to each other. I plan on sitting in my rocking chair shooting it straight with this wonderful group of ladies we are surrounded by. It's dangerously refreshing to have friends that we can be real with and still be friends! I appreciate the fact that I can be honest with you. Save me a spot on your front porch in 2048.

Becky said...

I don't have any clue what you are talking about - I miss so much being so far away, but REAL is good, and I hope you know that!! It was so nice sitting and visiting when we were there! Love you!