Sunday, September 28, 2008

Carter's Crew and Forest's too...

This is Carter Robertson and Forest at the JDRF Walk 2008. Carter was diagnosed just a couple of years ago with Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes. His mother Laura is a very good friend of mine. She was actually at my house when she got the call from the Dr. to tell her that her sweet boy DID indeed, have diabetes. We stood in the doorway of our guest bedroom while she cried and I "tried" to tell her that she could handle it. (What did I know, right???) Fast Forward 2 years and here we are... 2 months after Forest is diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes... and we get the pleasure of doing the "Walk for a Cure" with the Robertson's once again, only this time, we got T-shirt privileges! ( : Forest officially added HIS name to the team T-shirt. Don't they look precious together? I can't wait until Forest is old enough to appreciate how meaningful the walk really is. It is emotional in that, everyone that you meet practically has a very CLOSE tie to Diabetes... either they have it themselves or are caring for someone who has it. Many very precious people told me their stories... I was almost too preoccupied to care, but when I got home and settled down for a minute, I was so blessed that those people had shared with me. It was very encouraging. One young man, (probably 16), got up on stage with many of his teenage buddies behind him and said, "I've been fighting this since I was 18 months old... and I think it is TIME for a CURE!" It was very moving to me.

I'll have more pictures soon....

2 comments:

Courtney said...

very cute. how are you?!

Jeanette said...

Danielle (lady from church) told me they had over 3,000 walkers that day! Very encouraging!!