Sunday, September 21, 2008

Les Miserables

I am a miserable excuse for a person.   What kind of heart so desperately wants to surround itself with luxury and relaxation? Is it a wicked one? I pray not. For it is MINE! Do not feel sorry for me...I may have a wee one who is in need of constant care. I may not know the luxury of consecutive hours of sleep for many years... I may have even handed over my second son to the comforting hands of my heavenly Father... but I do not know suffering like many know suffering. I can't help but think that true suffering is the mother whose child looks in her eyes with sickness, or hunger, or pain and she has no way to remedy those things. She has no one to turn to... no medicine or food... 

I have all of the things I need to help Forest. "Oh, sweet boy, do you not feel well, shh, be still, all I need to do is pick up the phone and help is here.... whatever medicine you need." I can say that. Many cannot. How can I pretend that mine is a road of suffering?  I have all of the food I need, a lovely climate controlled home, lots of clothes to choose from (and clean), a car to drive, a pool to swim in... 
And yet, I still NEED. I need , I need, I need.... blah, blah, blah,

Do I really need anything? I should be more like M. Charles Francois-Bienvenu Myriel. He is worth knowing. I hope he does not turn into a wretched character. I must confess that I am only on the first chapter. But, I think probably he will not. I am inspired.....

2 comments:

Dalene said...

OOoohh...you're reading already? Now I'm going to have to catch up with you. I promise there was no agenda. ;o)

Oh the things we learn from LIT!

Marci said...

Beautiful post Christy! I hope you do not negate the hardships you bear because there are those you feel have a "heavier" burden. Your burdens are real. You can always find someone "worse off" than you to compare your life to. If this leads to guilt for the real thoughts and feelings you have about your own life, I fear this could be detrimental.

However, if you use these stories to enpower you, encourage you and inspire you to live the great life IN SPITE of harship, then of course that is awesome!!

It is just as easy to find those, who in our eyse, have lighter burdens as it is to find those with heavier burdens.

I say "do not compare to those who seem worse off or better off". Take your life as a gift that has been uniquely given to you and live it to your fullest and glorify God in the process.

I believe you are doing that!

**Hopefully I got the point of your post- - -I have not read the book and my response may be WAY off.