Monday, April 21, 2008

Life Lesson #3...

Remember.

That's it. That's the lesson. Remember. Have you heard about the Israelites being told by God to make "markers" with rocks each time or place there was something significant that happened? Then, they were supposed to remember because of the marker and tell each other the stories. Pass them down from generation to generation in order to remember God's goodness and faithfulness to them.
Tonight was an anniversary. One year ago today, my uncle passed away. He was sick for a while but it was oh so sad. I loved him dearly... and honestly I still find it hard to believe he is gone. In my mind, I still think he's out there on his land sitting on the tractor or going to show up in his pick up some day at my door just to give me a hard time. (and call me Crispy) I'm so glad my mom reminded me that today was THE actual day we lost him. I'm not good with dates. (ugh!)
So, I called my Grandma and took her to dinner. We sat and talked about my Uncle Butchie (that's what I called him) His name was really George. We talked about everything that made him special and great and loveable to us and so many. I asked her all about him when he was little and she shared a few memories.
We were taking time to remember. His life was significant and God did some pretty amazing things for him. It felt good.

4 comments:

Carol Van Atta, Princess Warrior said...

What a great reminder to leave markers and remember. I've enjoyed your site. God bless you!

Kipplyn said...

Remember, what a great one! I remember a study we did once about building your own "memorial" with things to remind you of times God showed himself to you. Thanks for the reminder.

Becky said...

Good reminder, Christy! And what a neat night for you and your grandmother! That makes a memory!

Dalene said...

I think you're a pretty amazing grandaughter. Moreover, I'm amazed by your ability to truly "see" people. I love how you honor your family-those here, and those who have gone before.